Monday, September 7, 2009

American Icons: Resources

Rudolf Nureyev
1. Film of Nureyev dancing Le Corsaire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wvwPo899bE&feature=related)- A film of Nureyev dancing shows how brilliant he was, and reminds me partially why I am inspired by him.  It shows how influential he was to American culture by looking at the related videos, and how many times it has been played.

2. Dancer by Colum McCann - This book is a novel about Nureyev's life from the time he was a child.  After the first time I read this book was when I really became inspired by Nureyev partially because it describes his life as a child in poverty and how he rose to being such a influential and talented person.

3. Rudolf Nureyev Foundation Official Website (www.nureyev.org) - This website has a lot of resources on it, such as a biography, interviews, and a list of dance partners.  Such a website is valuable because it will help me give the correct background information and learn more about him.  

William Burroughs
1. Naked Lunch by William Burroughs - This book is of very high value to me in completing this project, mostly because it gives insight to Burroughs' own thoughts to a certain extent.  Naked Lunch is said to be drawn from Burrough's own experiences with drugs, so it will show some about how he felt.  

2. Philosophical Conversations (http://sauer-thompson.com/conversations/archives/002673.html)- William Burroughs: Interview - Such an interview will be valuable because it reveals Burroughs' own thoughts in his own words.  This interview is mostly about literature, so it will show me more about his writing and how he relates to what is in his books/poetry/etc.

3. Various sound clips from ubu.com - Ubu.com has a collection of poetry that I have used before and it worked quite well.  Having sound clips of William S. Burroughs is useful because I can reflect more on his words, especially those I have not heard, and learn more about how I can relate to Burroughs himself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment