Thursday, September 3, 2009

American Icons: Three Choices

Rudolf Nureyev is a great inspiration to me and others because of his perseverance, dedication, and determination, if not for his incredible talent. He changed how male dancers were viewed in society, and even how ballet and modern itself were seen. He blurred the lines between modern and ballet by training and performing in both, which, though popular now, was near unheard of in his day and widely criticized. Nureyev became important to me while I was training in ballet and modern dance and I read a biography of him (Dancer by Colum McCann). It really showed me a lot about his life and inspired me to work harder at my dancing (though I regretfully do not dance much anymore...) and have more dedication to the things I really enjoyed and loved. He has inspired dancers and choreographers ever since he started performing, and he continues to inspire people today, even those who are not dancers, simply because of his wonderful character and values.

The Stonewall Riots are actually something I am not sure if I am inspired by. I am inspired by certain aspects of it, such as the courage to fight for what you believe in and for what is right. But there is also the violent aspect, which I am not fond of at all. I don't know if it was necessary, there are many different opinions on that. But I shall focus on the positives. This event was very important to American culture, because it sort of marked the start of the gay rights movement, and though it is less known, the transgender rights movement. I am inspired by these aspects of this event because I strongly believe that standing up for what is just is very important, and is a way to better humanity for ourselves and the generation to come. This event has been important to me ever since it was first explained to me, though as I said, I am not sure it is a perfect example of what should of happened, but really what is?


William S. Burroughs is a thoroughly brilliant addition to American culture. He was an author, painter and spoken word artist, a member of the beat generation. He was born in 1914, but he covered such controversial topics in his spoken word as drugs and homosexuality. He was addicted to opiates for fifty years and much of his work is a reflection on that. He is inspiring to me because he worked through an addiction and picked himself up off the ground and made beautiful art and inspired many other great people. I admire him for creating art about subjects that were often ignored in his time, he broke boundaries and opened the door for many future artists. Burroughs influenced such people as Genesis P-Orridge (of Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV, and more), who I also greatly admire. He influenced him with his poetry, and his social critiques. To me, Burroughs represents perserverance, risk taking, creativity, will power, and incredible innovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment